Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Happy-go-fucking-lucky McPositive and the Work/Life Skullfuck

Aloha,

So I've been a bit of a phantom-man around the old blogosphere, popping my head up to bitch and moan about work, or put some innane and useless video up. In short, my posts have gone seriously downhill in terms of quality this past while. There are a few reasons:

1) I have SERIOUS writer's block at the moment. There are a few things that I really want to start working on, drama and comedy, and I can't for the life of me get my thinking hat to stay on my head. I can't even string a sentence together that is not something that I am reading from a page, or as in this case, reporting back.

2) I am tired. I know, I know, I complain about insomnia all the time, but this is fucking ridicularse. It's like I've got a mild concussion or a case of fume-induced delirium. I kinda feel a bit stoned, but in a way that's not cool, or relaxed or appetite-exaggerating in the slightest. It's like a warm cosy feeling mixed with a little scratchy squirrel trying to burrow his way from behind my eyes. Grrr

3) I'm a depressive person. If you spend enough time with me you get to know that, even in spite of the buffoonery. I honestly can't really give a larger-than-small shit about the old cyber world when my own head is so firmly ensconsed up my own arse. I'm also pissed-off more easily these days, like when I want to momentarily shove a barbed-wire dildo up the arse of the smug Corporate type passively aggressively whacking his suitcase into me on the Tube for more space. It's like a little madness.

BUT, most of all...

4)

Work. I used to roll my eyes when people talked about a 'work/life balance' as being something elusive and vaguely whitewhalish. "Who the fuck do you think you are, Ahab?"

Well, keeping with the Moby Dick theme, the only recurring character who I'm honestly representing at the moment is Mr Starbucks. I'm a caffeine-fuelled automaton, obsessed with the next source of a Joey boost at my job.

(NB: As it turns out, I was massively wrong about the people I work with. Again, I've jumped before looking and my first impression (and an uncharacteristic judgmental mood) was completely out of whack. It turns out I just hate working, the people i do it with are actually lovely, it's not their fault I'm a lazy cunt.)

What I'm finding at the moment is a bit of a cliché. I'm like the female protagonist who can't balance her trendy media job, her angst-ridden (less pretty) friends and the relationship with her oh-so-hunky-but-in-revelation-a-bit-of-a-dick boyfriend in a shite RomCom. I need some serious balance. At the moment, I come in from work, eat, drink tea, eat some more and go to bed. Occasionally I might read for 20 mins or halfheartedly chat online to some buddies, or even play some useless flash game. When I do finally get to bed, the atheistic panic streak before I turn the light off of 'Wow, life is seriously short. I need more time!' that would gnaw at me during my more-stress-but-less-miserable unemployed Chest Shaving/Escalator Tumbling days seems to be absent. Crikey bejikey, maybe I've conformed.

("Like, oh no man, what a drag.")

ANYWAY, I had this plan about work. I was thinking I'd go on some really strong dose of anti-depressant (oooh, like, say a 60mg daily dose of Citalopram or something) and just coast through the next while in a bit of a coma. It seems that that might not work (I haven't implemented it anyway) because I have to talk to people a lot at work....but we'll see. And by 'we'll see' I mean, 'Of course I won't do that'.
-
-
--
--
-
-
A part of me has been wondering about the whole blog idea. When I began, about 10 months ago, I was intending it to be a forum to write about the law and politics, and definitely not use words like 'skullfuck' or 'barbed-wire dildo' to express my thoughts. It's like everything in life, you start with good intentions but before you know it, out come the dildoes.

So, and not in a 'girlfriend test' way, I'm going to think for a while about why I actually have this blog, and whether I want to keep it. I'll keep blogging, and actually try a wee bit more, but I may soon come to the conclusion to shut down the treehouse for a while. We'll see.





HAHA, how ranty and self-obsessed. There have been good developments in my life too, for example...

Dah dah dah daaaaaaaaaaaah!

I've done more of my 101 things to do...
1) Quit smoking cigarettes (that was fucking HARD!)

35) Get tickets to be in the audience for the radio recordings of what will be a TV comedy show (I'm claiming this as done because of the Twitter-based Sarah Millican tickets, that was an awesome night!)

Completed 7/101

So there, it's all relative I guess.
xx

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are wonderful! Congrats on quitting smoking!!!

    PS--I've been struggling with my blog lately too. Must be the moon cycle . . . or I'm just a damn hippie or something. :-)

    PPS--Life is too short to work so hard. You are young, have some fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're not allowed to quit! As soon as you do, you'll do some such silly thing as shaving your entire body and I would miss out on that story! Take your break,then get your working ass back to it!

    You have to learn the knack of "pretending to work". It makes life so much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL see?!??! well u cant retire yet so ur gonna have to deal lol

    and u quit smoking??!?!! how many days?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude, what's with all the romcom references? Legally Blonde much? :P

    p.s. Mate, we all get depressed at times. Me more than most given the excrutiating employment (non)situation, the stupidly short days and the fact that EVERYONE around seems to be a grumpy grots too. While, trust me I know, it's VERY easy to get into the woah-is-me-fuck-the-world funk, all we can do is pull ourselves out of it somehow. Find that hook. For me, I'm surrounding myself in things in life much more beautiful than my ugly mug: try plays, awesome bands, inspiring films and the National Portrait Gallery is one my of newest finds (it's awesome and FREE: go on Friday, it opens late and hosts a chamber music hour from 6-7).
    p.p.s. How bloody Trainspotting was that?!
    p.p.p.s. Don't quit blogging, bro. Do you not see what this all leads to? You, like me, enjoy the writing n'est-ce pas? Keep it up, even if sporadically, or you're giving up another part of what makes you Conor as opposed to Mr D, the nameless cog in the machine, the 'let's fuck the humanity out of you' rat race.

    ReplyDelete
  6. u better not leave the 'sphere!!! how will i learn all my fun irish slang?!
    keep writing when you can & congrats on crossing off two more goals!
    [xox]

    ReplyDelete